My Musical Background
· I write songs, play guitar, and sing, and currently play in a punk covers band in my spare time, which is a lot of fun. I am also often asked to form bands to play at weddings and parties.
· I have done guitar, bass, ukulele, and vocal sessions for music production companies who write music for film and TV.
· I have done various guitar and vocal work for my friend, David Fisher, and can be heard singing on his album.
· I was one half of award-winning duo Melfish with my mate Mel from university.
· I have played guitar, bass, and sang in numerous other bands, have recorded and appeared on singles and albums, and toured and played festivals.
· I grew up listening to all sorts of music and was influenced by the likes of The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, and Deep Purple from an early age. I subsequently became interested in indie/alternative rock and punk, and would spend hours working out guitar parts by my favourite guitarists: Johnny Marr (The Smiths), Peter Buck (REM), Graham Coxon (Blur), Joey Santiago (Pixies), Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo (Sonic Youth), Bernard Butler (Suede), Johnny Greenwood (Radiohead), and Polly Jean Harvey to name but a few.
·My specialist subject is the music of US alt-rock pioneers Pixies, Throwing Muses, and their various offshoots. I can wax on about them for hours, and even made them the subject of my university dissertation.
·These days I listen to everything from cheesy pop to post-rock and am grateful to my students for helping me keep up to date with modern music. Without them I’d probably be stuck in the 90s!